Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)

On Jan 25, 2008 9:10 PM, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Replying to the XDG part: You are encouraged to write up a small spec
> that defines file formats & file locations for this. The file locations
> should then be defined in terms of $XDG_DATA_HOME and reference the
> base-dir spec.

Gladly, but that should probably wait a bit until we actually know what
should be done by which part. Does anyone else have any thoughts
about the relative merrits/disadvantages of enhancing XDG or don't
people care either way as long as there is a 'standardized' way to do
this?

> For example, you can say that a shell should look for a file named
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/shell_sessions/$SHELL_SESSION_ID

Even though this looks kinda comical, wouldn't

  $XDG_DATA_HOME/$XDG_SESSION_SHELL_DIR/$XGD_SESSION_SHELL_ID

make more sense? I switched the position of SESSION and SHELL
on purpose, as this would faciliate future enhancement for session
state of other programs.

Richard