Re: Help with menu completion

Anonymous bin Ich wrote:
> I just re-did my zshrc, and used the "first-run" tool to configure
> completion for me. I wanted a menu-completion, but I am not getting
> it. Here is the diff for what was changed. As far as I understand,
> nothing related to menu-selection was changed, but I do not understand
> it much, so please help me...

Your message got wrapped horribly (without even passing through
Outlook!) but I think you now have the settings

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete _ignored
zstyle ':completion:*' expand prefix suffix
zstyle ':completion:*' file-sort name
zstyle ':completion:*' ignore-parents parent pwd ..
zstyle ':completion:*' list-colors ${(s.:.)LS_COLORS}
zstyle ':completion:*' list-prompt %SAt %p: Hit TAB for more, or the character to insert%s
zstyle ':completion:*' list-suffixes true
zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list '' 'm:{a-zA-Z}={A-Za-z}' 'l:|=* r:|=*' 'r:|[._-]=** r:|=**'
zstyle ':completion:*' menu select=long-list select=0
zstyle ':completion:*' preserve-prefix '//[^/]##/'
zstyle ':completion:*' select-prompt %SScrolling active: current selection at %p%s

which should be basically OK in that there's nothing to prevent menu
selection from working.

> Earlier, I used to get a nice menu with LS_COLORS, now I don't get any
> menu, but just a list of possible completions.

You haven't shown, but I take it it's still running "compinit" at some
point.

Is the problem simply that you need two TABs to start menu completion
(and then it goes into selection)?  If you want it always to start menu
completion you either need to "setopt menucomplete" or change the menu
style to

zstyle ':completion:*' menu yes select=long-list select=0