Re: Does zsh have anything like readline's edit-and-execute-command ?

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:02:42PM +0100, N.J. Mann wrote:
> In message <20080507184442.GH11527@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Lee
> Powell (rlpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 07:28:02PM +0100, Stephane Chazelas
> > wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:32:04AM -0700, Robin Lee Powell
> > > wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > You may want to consider "info" instead. "info" has got a
> > > searchable index and table of content like a book.
> >
> > info is nigh-unusable
>
> Agreed!  :-)
>
> > It wouldn't have helped at all in this case, though, as I had no
> > idea where in the hierarchy to look.  I'm trying to get
> > edit-command-line to work now, and I *still* don't know where to
> > look.
>
> I just tried the example in the book _From Bash to Z Shell_, which
> I highly recommend and think those involved did a great job, and
> it just worked.  Okay, so I used a different key binding from that
> in the book but that was to prevent it clashing with other
> bindings I have.  The book suggests:
>
>  autoload -U edit-command-line
>  zle -N edit-command-line
>  bindkey '\ee' edit-command-line
>
> to make ESC-e bring up the editor.  I used ^E.

Yeah, that's what worked for me too.

This Is Not Obvious. (tm)

I was looking for information on how to load already-existing
widgets into zle, not creat new ones.  The -N option says:

    -N WIDGET [ FUNCTION ]
          Create a user-defined widget.  If there is already a widget
          with the specified name, it is overwritten.

This is clearly not what I was looking for, so I stopped reading at
that point and moved on to the next option.

I only figured it out because of comments in the source file for
edit-command-line.

-Robin