Waiting on Child

I've got a script that opens in the foreground a file in OpenOffice.org.
When the process ends, I do some other things to the file.  This all
worked great until I upgraded to OpenOffice 2.4.  It seems now that a
child process is spawned to deal with the document and the parent
process does not wait for the child.  The parent process ends and my
script now incorrectly advances to the post-editing code.

Is there anything zsh can do to help me?  I want to be able to wait on
the child process, but I don't think zsh can do anything about it.
Probably I can twiddle with checking the output of ps, but ps-based
scripts rarely seem portable.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

--
Chris Johnson