Re: Multi-Minute Startup?

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <zsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Aaron Davies wrote:
>
>> It takes zsh multiple minutes (around 3) to start up on a new server I
>> just got access to. I have no custom .z* files at this point, so all that's
>> running should be the /etc files, of which only /etc/zshenv and /etc/zshrc
>> are actually present. Any ideas what's likely to be slowing me down so much?
>
> What O/S and architecture? (Not sure if it's relevant, but maybe Zsh doesn't
> run so fast on a 286.)

linux on some fairly new enterprise server hardware. i don't think
it's the machine's fault. :)

> Try running zsh -x -l
> -l makes it a login shell
> -x is to trace commands as they're executed
>
> Maybe that will reveal a particular command that's taking a long time to
> execute.

ah, looks like it's part of compaudit

+compaudit:84> IFS=: +compaudit:84> read GROUP _i_pw _i_gid GROUPMEM

is it trying to do something like read all users/groups from the
authentication system for completion? that might explain it, as our
directory server is 10,000 miles away. if that's the problem, is there
a way to get rid of it without having write access to the /etc/z*
files?
--
Aaron Davies
aaron.davies@xxxxxxxxx