Re: SHELL not always correct

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:31:16PM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
[...]
> Bash used to auto-export SHELL because programs like tset and make
> still depend on its value.  If the current version sets the value,
> however, it doesn't export it.
[...]

Hi Chet,

What implementation/version of make uses $SHELL? I thought SHELL
was meant to be *the* environment variable that make was meant
*not* to read as it conflicts with its own SHELL variable.

What's the point of setting $SHELL and not exporting it, btw?
does bash use $SHELL internally or is it just for the benefit of
.profile/.bashrc?

Do you know of which systems where the SHELL environment
variable is not set by login/cron/rshd...? On this debian
system, cron sets it to /bin/sh, rshd/login/kdm to my login
shell

Looking around, I see AT&T ksh is the only other shell that sets
$SHELL. It sets it to "/bin/sh" though (even on Solaris where
/bin/sh is not a standard shell!) and it doesn't export it
either. ash, pdksh, posh, mksh, csh, tcsh, rc, es, zsh don't set
it.

--
Stéphane