background job status update

if i start a job in the background such as:
	sleep 30 &
 i get a status report sent to stderr as expected:
	[1] 1234
 but when the job exits, i get this to my terminal:
	[1]  + done       sleep 30

i would expect both of those messages to be sent to stderr. why is the second message sent to my terminal? how can i direct it to stderr?

tested with zsh 4.3.6.

thanks...

--
        ...atom

 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

	"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster
	 than any invention in human history - with the
	 possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
		-- Mitch Ratliffe, Technology Review, April, 1992