Re: dll Error on cygwin

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Peter A. Castro wrote:

Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: zsh-users@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: dll Error on cygwin

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Bart Schaefer wrote:

On May 1,  8:44am, Peter A. Castro wrote:
}
} As someone else noted (Thorston?) try running 'rebase'.  If that doesn't

.. spelled "Thorsten" wrong!  Sorry Thorsten! :-)

} resolve it, I'll have to gen a new package using the latest Cygwin to
} adjust the default load addresses.

Here's a possibly-helpful blog post from a few months ago:

http://www.heikkitoivonen.net/blog/2008/11/26/cygwin-upgrades-and-rebaseall/

} This may clear up with Cygwin-1.7, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The same google that turned up the above blog also finds mailing list
archives from 2004 where a Cygwin developer says that the "rebase"
utility is a temporary workaround for something that should become
automatic in setup.exe.

Well, yes, "should become" and "already is" are two different things, yes?
:-)

There's been much discussion about doing this (rebase on install), but as
yet no decision to actually have it done.  There seems to be some
disagreement as to weither doing rebaseall is a proper solution to
something that's viewed as a per-package issue.  I personally view it as
a flay in Windows' architecture, but that's just me :-)

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <Peter.Castro@xxxxxxxxxx>

one more data point: this problem had me effectively shut down on win7 beta 1. after the rebase routine, vim, zsh, cvs, subversion, and gcc, for instance, all appear to be working as expected.