Re: proper UTF-8 support under OSX

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> If Mutt is also affected, this is probably not a problem due to zsh.
>
> Also if you use ssh, you need the same charmap on both sides.

Yes, and the same 'locale' environment variables (which I assume the
compiled tool will show).

Most cases when I could not use UTF8-via-ssh were due to the ssh-server
config, which did not allow to transfer the environment variables.
If you have access to the configs of the 'sshd', you can allow:
----------------------------------------------------------------- conf lines
# Allow client to pass locale environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
This way the local ssh can tell the remote sshd which locale to use,
and all starting programs (especially the login-shell) have the
correct setting.

This fixed most of our locale-problems in a mixed environment
(different distributions of Mac and LINUX + putty from windows).

Yours  Stucki

--
Christoph von Stuckrad      * * |nickname |Mail <stucki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> \
Freie Universitaet Berlin   |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(Mo.,Mi.):+49 30 838-75 459|