Re: the function to show a digit argument while it is being typed

> Here's a summarized version based on everything that's gone by so far.

That's not working right with negative arguments for me - an initial
neg-argument is ignored both in what is displayed, and in the effect
of the eventual argument.

Also, if you use neg-argument after using digit-argument, then the
display gets all screwed up because the prompt incorrectly moves up a
line.

> The "emulate" should take care of that -- things like shwordsplit also
> needed to be handled.

Of course that's a better fix.

> } Also would be nice if this worked with universal-argument.

> Hmm, that one is a lot trickier;

That's too bad, as it's what I usually use.  Wonder how hard it'd be
to add this functionality directly to the C code implementing that..

> Things get even hairier when argument-base is thrown in.

Ha ha, I didn't even know about that!

Greg