Re: Encrypting history?

Guido van Steen <gvsteen@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Interesting idea indeed! You might miss a feature like sharing a history file across sessions.
>
> You could overcome this by seperately saving all your sessions' increments to your history file, and then incorporating them into the history file when you login again.
>
> This way the entries of your history file might get out of order, but you could probably handle this by also saving the time when your commands were issued.
>
> I would also be interested in a zsh extension like that.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Guido

Thank you for reminding me about sharing history across sessions.

I've never written an extension for zsh, and so the first thing I plan
to do is implement this via code in my .zlogin and .zlogout files. Then,
once I get it working, I'll take the plunge and try to turn it into an
extension.

Concerning this session-specific history issue, is there a way to get a
history list of the commands that were issued only during the current
session? If so, I think I probably could do something like this upon
logout:

* Lock the current history file
* Get the history list for the current session
* Encrypt this history list and append it to the current
  history file
* Unlock the current history file

Would that work?

--