Re: what is the effect of a percentage sign (%) as last character on the command line

Are you able to reproduce this behavior with "zsh -f" ?
No, disabling startup files makes the behavior disappear. So there is a mistake in my startup files. The behavior does not disappear when I move my ~/.zshrc though, so there must be another file that introduces the behavior. The only other startup file on this system is
~/.zlogin:

$ cat ~/.zlogin
keychain --nogui ~/.ssh/id_rsa
source ~/.keychain/$HOST-sh

There is no /etc/zshenv and no other zsh related files in /etc/ or /etc/zsh.

Is there a way to list the files that the shell has read on startup ?

Thanks for your time

Peter