Re: make zsh completion ergonomics closer to those of bash?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Ian Clarke wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > I had some different settings, but now I get the same as you, but
> > the behavior isn't what I'm looking for:
>
> Just a note that I have all the same problems even when I start zsh
> with the "-fx" options (which I believe prevent it from reading its
> config files).

The 'x' in -fx enables XTRACE, which traces everything, but that should
get you a clean start.  Maybe add the '+d' flag (zsh -f +d) which
disables global rc files.  (I think only /etc/zshprofile can't be
disabled.)

One other possibility is to check your key bindings.  I just noticed
that there are 'menu-complete' and 'menu-expand-or-complete' bindings.
Try:

$ bindkey | grep menu

If I first do:

$ bindkey '^I' menu-expand-or-complete
(^I is '<TAB>')

I get 'menu-complete' behavior regardless of the menucomplete setting.

Another (remote) possibility would be to check zstyle:

$ zstyle

That shouldn't list anything in a clean install.  Someone else can
correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the things you can set with styles
appear to involve menu completion.

--
Best,
Ben