tab completion in an alias

I was impressed to read in the recent post on dirs & popd how

    cd -<tab>

allows one to tabcomplete the directory stack & scroll down through it
with the <down> key. I'd like to wrap this in an alias that includes
the <tab>, something like (and I know this doesn't work):

    alias d='cd -	'

So that I could type d, then the enter key, and be presented with the
directory stack as a menu to scroll down through. Is there some way to
accomplish this?

Regards,

John

--