Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Git completion - trying to improve speed
- X-seq: zsh-users 15133
- From: "Benjamin R. Haskell" <zsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Piotr Kalinowski <pitkali@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Git completion - trying to improve speed
- Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
- Cc: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <AANLkTikWWvlUxxBfS5z5Ko_HHN00yd-dB91bbwkUAzr7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <AANLkTikWWvlUxxBfS5z5Ko_HHN00yd-dB91bbwkUAzr7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Piotr Kalinowski wrote:
> I'm working on quite a large repository, and found git checkout
> completion to be veeery slow. I've found patch on google that does
> improve situation dramatically when you supply some prefix, see:
> http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2008/msg01535.html. I've applied it to
> git-version of git completion. However, I've got weird side effect.
> Let user use 'git checkout test-<TAB>', wanting to complete something
> like local branch test-feature1 or test-feature2. However:
> - First completion is immediately inserted with menu displayed despite
> the shell being configured otherwise (inserted in full, not just
> common prefix).
> - The first completion is something like origin/test-feature1 instead
> of a local branch.
> I'm not much of a shell guru so I thought I'd ask if someone more into
> the subject had any ideas what's going on, before I start to
> reverse-engineer _git script ;)
Not entirely sure about your problem.
That message is spot-on about the source of the problem, though.
_multi_parts is really slow. Since I have a mapping for completing
filenames generally via ^X^F, I've actually been satisfied with adding
the following to my startup files:
That prevents most(?) filename completion via _git, but I much prefer
that to the alternative of pegging a CPU at 100% for more than a minute
whenever I accidentally hit <Tab> after 'git co' (w/ 'co' aliased to
'checkout') in my work repo (which is much smaller than the kernel repo,
but many untracked files).
I have a branch in my local zsh repo called completion/_git/why-so-slow,
but it's been sitting dormant for a while for lack of tuits (along with
completion/_virtualbox and completion/_imagemagick).
Messages sorted by: