Re: Synchronous vs. Asynchronous

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:35:01 -0700
> I just occured to me that when the zsh manual describes something as
> "asynchronous" it means not synchronous with respect to the parent
> zsh, e.g., that the shell will not wait for it.  That is distinct from
> whether it is [not] synchronous with respect to other commands in the
> same syntactic construct.
>
> So if we're going to cause zsh to wait for >(...), we should change
> the description in the documentation to no longer say "asynchronous".

Actually, I think it already does that, except in the case of a builtin not
run inside { ... }, and that isn't one of the current set of changes (it's
hard because current-shell job processing is a mess, because it's hellish
difficult deciding what the job actually consists of), so the documentation
is already out of date.

The latest set of changes, which I need to review further, affect (i)
whether a signal is forwarded to the >(...) process (ii) whether that
process is attached to the foreground terminal so it gets a ^C.  There's no
extra waiting.

My big remaining worry is whether the >(...) could think it's in the
foreground when it's actually in the background after the patch in the
second subthread.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited