Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: zsh as login shell and x-terms.
- X-seq: zsh-users 15390
- From: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: zsh as login shell and x-terms.
- Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
- Cc: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <4C8AA68B.5030203@xxxxxxxxx>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <4C8AA68B.5030203@xxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
I found quite strange issue with zsh as login shell. When I log to system by
tty or by ssh my zsh checking/execing zprofile, which is good. but when I
open new urxvt window (or any other terminal, such as xterm) there is no
zprofile loaded. I need to do manualy 'zsh -l'. I have no idea why, I think
my zprofile should be loaded every time I start new terminal window.
This is more a question of urxvt and xterm configuration than zsh, or
really a matter of X configuration.
A short answer to your question is that both terminal emulators start
your shell as a sub-shell by default, instead of as a login-shell.
Both emulators have options to start the shell as a login shell (see "man
urxvt" or "man xterm"), but I suspect you'd prefer, as most people would,
a more automatic solution, which is to add an entry to your
$HOME/.Xresources file (which is loaded once when you start your X
session) or $HOME/.Xdefaults file (which is used dynamically each time an
X app runs).
Both emulators happen to use the same X resource name for the action of
running a login-shell, so you can cover both by adding a single entry to
either of the above mentioned files:
Or, of you prefer to tailor this action to these specific emulator(s)
I'd suggest putting which ever you form you choose into .Xdefaults so you
can easily disable it without having to log out of your X session to
effect the change.
Peter A. Castro <doctor@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <Peter.Castro@xxxxxxxxxx>
"Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood
Messages sorted by: