Formatting issues with completion grouping.. help?

Hi zsh users. I have a problem... I've consulted google, I've consulted
the mailing list archives, I've consulted the docs, and I'm stumped. I
haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I'm assuming I'm doing
something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

The really short version is that when I turn on grouping of completion
results, the response puts the headers for the groups all together at
the top of the result, and then the results intermingled below that. e.g:

[grizzard@zash]~% sh u<tab>
---- external command
---- builtin command
---- reserved word
ucd5820stat                until
udev                       unwrapdiff
udev.static                unzip
udev_volume_id             unzipsfx
udevd                      up2date
[etc]

I narrowed this down to the most straightforward test case I could, using
an empty home directory (so no zsh config) on a pretty bare system and
a fresh environment-cleansing su:

bash$ su - grizzard

bash$ pwd
/home/grizzard

bash$ ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 grizzard root 4096 May 18 09:11 .
drwxr-xr-x  7 root     root 4096 May 18 07:34 ..

bash$ exec /bin/zsh

[grizzard@zash]~% autoload -U compinit
[grizzard@zash]~% compinit
[grizzard@zash]~% setopt auto_list bash_auto_list complete_aliases complete_in_word list_types
[grizzard@zash]~% zstyle ':completion:*:matches' group 'yes'
[grizzard@zash]~% zstyle ':completion:*:descriptions' format "%B---- %d%b"

[grizzard@zash]~% sh u<tab>
---- external command
---- builtin command
---- reserved word
ucd5820stat                until
udev                       unwrapdiff
udev.static                unzip
udev_volume_id             unzipsfx
udevd                      up2date
[etc]

This happens on several different systems with several different zsh
builds, but here's the vitals from one of them:

[grizzard@zash]~% zsh --version
zsh 4.2.0 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)

[grizzard@zash]~% cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8)

[grizzard@zash]~% echo $TERM
xterm

(also happens with TERM=vt100 and TERM=dumb)

And another system it happens on:

[grizzard@wherever]~% zsh --version
zsh 4.3.10 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)

[grizzard@wherever]~% cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.0 (Santiago)

So... guys... what am I missing? Help? Thanks! :)

-jay