directory aliases

Hello.

Is there any way to make directory aliases, so it will be possible to do so:

(for example projects is an alias for /full_long_path/projects)

% cd projects
% projects             # auto_cd
% ls projects
% less projects/some-project

from any directory?

cdpath is only for cd

alias projects=/full_long_path/projects is only for auto_cd

~ expansion requires '~' prefix for directory
It's good for unambiguousness. But I think about user home when I see
~somethig. May be some prefix (for example dot or hyphen) will help to
distinguish such aliases from users homes.

hash -d .projects=/full_long_path/projects
works, but how to make this with hyphen (-) ?

--
sergio.