Re: "Once-a-day" long delay before startup

On 2011-08-14 10:57:49 -0400, gi1242+zsh@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I notice that about every so often (at least once a day) when I open a
> new shell, my hard disk spins for 15 secs or so before zsh starts. Of
> course, most of the time it starts instantly.
>
> Would anyone know what the problem is?
[...]

You can add

  [[ -o interactive ]] && echo 'zshenv...'

to your .zshenv file, and see if the hard disk spins before or after.
If after, you can add other similar messages to find what triggers the
problem.

I have a similar problem on my Mac OS X machine after doing a disk or
memory intensive operation (AFAIK), but I haven't had the time to look
at it yet. I wonder whether this comes from the code that builds the
command hash.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>