TERM

How do I know which TERM I should use?

Is it determined by the terminal application that I am using (i.e.
Terminal.app or iTerm on Mac OS X, or "Screens" on iPad), or is there a
decent "baseline" I ought to be able to use safely?

I'm not entirely sure what TERM really does, other than control whether or
not 'ls' will output color, or whether color can be used in zsh's $PROMPT.
I've used "vt100" for ages, but it appears that pretty limited w/r/t colors,
etc.

Thanks!

TjL