Re: Completion lists

Bart Schaefer <schaefer <at> brasslantern.com> writes:

> If someone builds up a useful set of these based on this example, please
> post back to the list.

Just for posterity, this is what I've using since a couple of days:

##################
# completition list colorization (emacs style)
highlight-comp()
{
  reply=()
  [ -n "$PREFIX" -a ! -d "$PREFIX" ] && reply+=( "=(#b)${PREFIX:q:t}(?)*==1" )
  reply+=( "=(#b)(?)*==1" )
}

zstyle -e ':completion:*' list-colors highlight-comp
##################

It seems to work fine for most cases. This particular code also seems to avoid
the reset bug as mentioned before (although this wasn't intended).

Is also works for in-word completions, like this:

% ls ///list<TAB>
etc/  lib/  usr/

but it's also pure chance, since PREFIX in this case seems to be "///list" which
doesn't pass the "! -d" test (which is done for simple directories). I tried to
write better code to handle this case, but "$compstate" doesn't seem to put
anything meaningful (I was expecting insert_positions to be set to something!).

Also, I could avoid the test entirely if I could set a different function when
completing arguments instead of files. How can I do this?

Thanks.