Command completion slowness? (And PATH order possible?)

Sometimes it takes a few seconds to complete a command. But I am indeed calling
a rehashing function before the completion is actually done, maybe that could
be it? Will try to disable it for a while.

Moreover, can I have command completion in PATH order? Specifically I have
$USER/bin first in my PATH, and would really like first hit partial matches
from that directory, and later from others.