Re: command completion notification

> On Aug 4, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There was a thread from last October about using growl for this same
> > sort of thing.  See http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2011/msg00798.html
> > and surrounding conversation.

I missed this and the October thread so it is perhaps a bit late.

Instead of saving and checking SECONDS, I simply check TTYIDLE from
precmd(). This is more useful because you'll only get an alert for
a terminal that you have left alone as opposed to one where you were
interacting with a console-based program.

Recentish xterm has a feature for setting the window manager urgency
hint and my usual window manager (i3) handles that in a manner that
isn't too irritating. Unfortunately, it is tied in with the bell so I
need to use a visual bell and print a bell character \a: a beep would
be irritating. I'm not familiar with growl but the main advantage of an
xterm feature is that you don't have to worry about the effect of ssh
to remote machines or su to different users. Still, it ends up being
annoying at times.

Oliver