Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
How does a new software package provide Zsh tab completion scripts to users?
- X-seq: zsh-users 17762
- From: Robert McLay <mclay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: How does a new software package provide Zsh tab completion scripts to users?
- Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:21:59 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:sender:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=v9cqAXibyR4JRE/0pDrEMtkault124u/j6sdZSSfc7A=; b=v4CBkouWGFVhq374Nosc1CeTStlBduUFJzIuW27cGtWO2agb4QKc7baCWaT2Nfk7fk zpfGc06n2oaY1FiQu+3QWm5pxbS/xe4ddhwJOQUAeW36u+pODP15LmvEUHlm/hrnr7At mLf6XsU/wOpMYfmw5sxk6hTdJG5Vop4JZF8Su+qResBJWZbBMVQV9gWgc1ooXwHEFkDQ FqUE5Je/x2xd3awy6VQpfYVeHasLgU0hfWEBDaMPtC7ptGVDd32/HVkp+ATUeIj85rCp b5wHvhc1rxWP5LOXmgMfWHJsBAPJMETKX/rl1VFqMqWIvCR6monPcZLqtfawRdrOft0+ h/fg==
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- Sender: rtmclay@xxxxxxxxx
I am the author of a software package and I'd like to provide Zsh tab
completion scripts for users of my package. In particular my package is
Lmod. It is updated tool to handle environment modules, similar to but not
exactly the same as the TCL/C based environment modules. Its main
advantage is that makes dealing with multiple compilers and MPI stacks much
easier along with the dependent libraries and applications.
The problem is that Lmod is typically installed by system administrators
and not by users directly. There is not a good way to tell the Zsh users
that there is tab completion scripts available. I also do not think that
I'll get many site to put my zsh scripts in the system location.
Eventually if/when Lmod takes over the world (;->), my completion scripts
will be in the standard zsh installation but until that day, I'd like to
know what options are available.
To use Lmod, users must source something that defines a shell function. In
this file, I could also prepend a directory to FPATH and do
autoload -U compinit
to make the Lmod completion available. However this seems like a bad
idea. What if a Zsh user is not using tab completion?
Has this been discussed before? I did some searching but was unable to
find anything. I'm not sure what the right phrase would be.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Messages sorted by: