return up two levels?

Didn't I read somewhere that one can return from a function 'up two levels'? i.e. that if function1 calls function2, that function2 can return both itself and function1? I have a helper function that might want to return to the calling function, or might want to return right back to the shell. Of course I can do this with with return value tests within the calling function, but it would be nice if the helper function could handle it internally. Is it possible? 'exit' kills the shell itself, so it's too aggressive.