Re: surprise with echo

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> } As a grey-beard (I fell in love with UNIX in the 1980's when the
> } C-shell was bleeding edge) I'm familiar with all the major variants of
> } shells and kernels.
>
> We ought to have a secret handshake or something by this point.  I led
> the team that ported Z-Mail to 29 different UNIX variants and three
> windowing systems, back in the 90's, after spending my grad school
> years in the 80s parallelizing applications for the Sequent machine
> and playing with Smalltalk on a Tektronix 4315 running UTek.  Did you
> ever get to program Occam in the folding editor, for Transputer apps?
> (Good lord it's been a long time since I uttered any of those words.)

I think we already have a semi-secret handshake. I joined Sequent Computer
Systems around 1991 as a support technician. Because I was the only
software engineer on that team I wrote a lot of their support tools. Which
included supporting (but mostly arguing against) using Smalltalk as the
basis for a expert system to support our customers. Those were the days, as
you allude to, when things like a X Window system terminal (i.e., client)
was bleeding edge. I've never written a line of code in Occam but remember
reading about it and debating its merits.

--
Kurtis Rader