Re: autoload

On 09/17/2015 09:04 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Sep 17,  6:20pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
} Subject: Re: autoload
}
} Anyway, those .zwc files are in the Debian package, I just checked.

In that case you should probably just do:

     autoload -w $^fpath/*.zwc(N)

and forget about rebuilding from the source functions.
Yes, that was quite the red herring there. Interesting that Debian does things differently like that. I suppose they are free to, but it still seems strange that there'd be no doc to the effect that their package is different from std. like that. Maybe it's not to be expected. I guess the 'line 5 `)' error mystery is best
forgotten.  Very strange tho.

I'm trying to get the autoload system working with my own functions and I'm
almost there. " /aWorking/Zsh/Source" is where they live, and I've called them
like this:

    for aa in /aWorking/Zsh/Source/*; do source $aa; done

... which was the first thing I learned about such things. They are all 'normal'
functions and most files contain more than one.

Now I'm trying this:

$ fpath=( /aWorking/Zsh/Source "${fpath[@]}" )
    $ source miscfunctions
$ autoload -w /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Source.zwc
$ l
    [ nothing ]
    $ l
    [ now I get listing ]

... in the docs there's talk of this--loading vs. loading and executing--but I can't figger it. I've tried 'zcompile -k/z ...' and 'autoload k/z ...' but no combination seems to prevent the first call to any function from being inert. 'zcompile -t ...' always
shows me a list of files, not functions.  Strangely there seems
to be no trouble with multiple functions in one file except in the case of
'miscfunctions' so I have to source it separately. (The other multiple functions are all help functions only called by the main function in each file. I don't know why that makes a difference, but it does.) Also, I wonder why $fpath needs to be modified since 'autoload -w' is given an explicit path to the .zwc file, so should hardly be concerned with looking for it via $fpath. I'd expect it to be hashed
and that's that.