completion problem

Hi.  I really appreciate the people on this list helping me to learn zsh
-- I am slogging my way through the manual, but its slow going.

I am running into a strange behavior when completing a filename -- if I
start with something which has no matches,  and then press tab, the
system will try to give me substring matches and this is fine, but what
I would like to prevent is then it automatically completes with the
first match, which -- at least for me -- is usually not what I want.
How can I prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?