Re: Extended globbing seems to have become much slower in recent versions of Zsh

On Mar 1,  8:11pm, Jesper Nygards wrote:
}
} New runs with your suggestion:

Well, that's interesting.  Seems to indicate that building argv to pass
to builtins is even more expensive than an array assignment.

Still, I can't find anything on my system that causes as dramatic a
difference as yours from 5.0.5 -> 5.2+.  The (-.D) qualifiers seem to
have the largest effect for me, for you its the exclusion pattern.

For the sake of covering all bases, are you sure the same compiler
optimization flags were applied to the 5.0.5 and 5.2 builds you are
testing?  With your exclusion pattern and about 13,000 files in **/*,
there are about 100,000 calls to strlen() in either version, so any
optimization of that might make a large difference.

I did find a small but observable speedup when compiling without
MULTIBYTE_SUPPORT, too; there were a lot of multibyte repairs to
pattern.c after 5.0.5.