Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: REMATCH_PCRE with zsh built without pcre support
- X-seq: zsh-users 22651
- From: Phil Pennock <zsh-workers+phil.pennock@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: REMATCH_PCRE with zsh built without pcre support
- Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 01:12:00 +0000
- Cc: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=spodhuis.org; s=d201702; h=In-Reply-To:Content-Type:MIME-Version:References :Message-ID:Subject:Cc:To:From:Date:Sender:Reply-To:Content-Transfer-Encoding :Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender: Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe: List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=uC+sAUxrqk9SMCq9UGqbEtd/GH06rmAbomJwZuF9sHc=; b=Sp6UyjTSw8wFwwmyZyExLiUzd3 KpBCvJXJWc+CkWofUHC7fM5FOtuG6oc3GpraFXND/etY6oDcSrmOyNglCkRBOTzHBGurS+HHNXHxb NmDGkbnQX8fbEFcxb+zKeOLnexdHXw4NuXsldV5xH6dxG7KeJMrFHc/KPoBTwWzzQkllHy3Tyvfa3 9aMHa/RJRozlREPBfgiQ/3Gefk2J;
- In-reply-to: <170401145348.ZM30308@torch.brasslantern.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- Openpgp: url=https://www.security.spodhuis.org/PGP/keys/0x4D1E900E14C1CC04.asc
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <170401145348.ZM30308@torch.brasslantern.com>
On 2017-04-01 at 14:53 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I'd personally be more inclined to do away with REMATCH_PCRE and that
> =~ special-case entirely, and require explicit use of the -pcre-match
> operator (or a shorter equivalent) when you want those semantics.
That's a shame. Perl introduced the syntax and I originally wrote the
Zsh =~ code to use the existing zsh/pcre module. It was only
reluctantly that I added the zsh/regex module so that =~ could match
Bash's behavior by default, because folks felt that compatibility with
Bash was more important than being powerful. Almost everything I do
with =~ in Zsh uses REMATCH_PCRE.
> It's already been pointed out in another thread that =~ doesn't work at
> all if the shell is built with the default modules and without dynamic
> linking support.
I'll have to hunt down that thread and see what I can do about that.
Messages sorted by: