Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: zsh at perl conference and few questions
- X-seq: zsh-users 23369
- From: Marc Chantreux <eiro@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: zsh at perl conference and few questions
- Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:14:02 +0200
- Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 aurora-borealis.phear.org 86F6E104EC
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=phear.org; s=20180217; t=1524910444; bh=kmBorKfjd8atO5FaKQIPOgk0Nc40uXbSsZtqTKnP9ew=; h=Date:From:To:Cc:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:From; b=wendC6vdpWUYOz5YfzbOvrln3+DYIvjqKz4scZwjyw34Bc+Pg4tCYVHygG3ColK9B VN7oBUdc5SwXSzk/TUYnVTsxCtQkPX3oGq5YVb43uddstb2Er6BW8UgrUCvSTDF1Yq K88my12r1cR6gGkft9DY/Z+RErlJwuAJXNsH6dwum1yBTsgm9veWnWZFOm/7WzyiDT FAve8tokPy388+a9oyJCbeDK18pWjLYykta/whoIlmSlkRrNx5tYT8QGdNj8+1K3Oo Wz6RulbiHyCJiddNnywdtEUh0nHsXlsEWVyKFCjGznlbGjdA/b5ZYpE0U7gzAMXFuE cQTZnr3mJR19A==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CGME20180423093610epcas4p2248cf6f0e76bd3e81ff6fa0ef55f5c25@epcas4p2.samsung.com> <20180422204849.GA30387@prometheus.u-strasbg.fr> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
thanks for your reply
> It's quite hard to ensure alternative syntax gets parsed consistently
> --- I'm sure there are lots of inconsistencies --- but a lot of that is
well... i used it at least 15 years long without having problems so
we can imagine it's consistent enought :)
> > b) why the while loop can't take (( )) or single instruction as do
> > list ?
> Maybe because it's missing the code at the bottom?
should this code be merged in the zsh codebase ? :)
> > c) it seems the (+) syntax can't be used outside file expansions
> > (or did i miss something?)
> Yes, there's no general "execute a function that does something" in
> other cases because there's no obvious definition of whit it would do
> --- unlike globbing qualifiers which are there as a simple filter.
is it a possible open discussion with zsh-workers ? it seems to me i
have a clear idea of how things could work but i have now idea of how to
implement it. maybe i should document it ? (or maybe there are some
archives outthere about why it cannot be obvious?)
> > d) is there a plan to have something like namespaces ?
> It was first discussed a long time ago, but no one has bitten the
> bullet. Simple minded namespaces --- allow dots in the variable works
> --- are trivial, but the variable code is very complicated and working
> out how to do it properly is a big task that no one has been prepared to
> look at (saying "someone else ought to do this" does not count as
> looking at it" :-)).
in this case i wasn't talking about variables but only function names but
i imagine it goes the same.
once again thanks for your reply.
Messages sorted by: