Re: Why the widget bound to menuselect isn't called?

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 12:38, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The automatic mapping is harder
> because an approach needs to be worked out and designed.
> I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. It may have been better if
> there had been fine-grained widgets to begin with but that alone is not
> sufficient (either now or at the time of the module's inception).

I was making a point that the automatic mapping solely for the
menuselect case is actually available – despite being probably not at
the level of quality and design that we would expect from it – because
the complist module does automatically get the calls if they're done
on the menuselect keymap. So to solve the particular issue with
non-overloadable menuselect widgets what has to be done is to provide
the rest of the Zle widgets – to give them meaning in the menuselect
keymap, so that there's no risk that user's overloading widget will
call something's unimplemented – the Zsh script code isn't a threat
here, only the dot- i.e. original zle .widgets are.

> > It seems that it is about forwarding the keymap-specific mechanism to
> > the Zshell code in an consistent way with the C code. The question is
> > is this necessary?
>
> Consistency with Functions/Zle/keymap+widget isn't necessary.
> Not breaking backwards compatibility that allows menu selection key
> bindings to reflect users' normal key bindings is necessary. I was
> trying to outline some vague ideas on how this might be approached.

I wonder if the enabling of overloading of the menuselect keymap
doesn't break the backwards compatibility. The "always leave
menu-selection" behavior, for example, will be changed by it. An
configuration option, rather preferably zstyle, could be used to guard
the compatible behavior (BTW. are zstyles used to influence Zshell at
the C level currently?).

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski
News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI