Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
NPM packages come to Zsh world via Zplugin support
- X-seq: zsh-users 24500
- From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Zsh Users <zsh-users@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: NPM packages come to Zsh world via Zplugin support
- Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 01:37:02 +0100
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
I would like to announce that Zplugin supports NPM-packages that are
targetted as a Zsh package, i.e.: if they contain a specific meta-data
in the package.json.
Why do this?
1. Zplugin is a very flexible plugin manager however users often feel
overwhelmed by its configuration.
2. It has many package-manager -like features, such as: it can run
Makefiles, automatically provide shims (i.e.: forwarder scripts) for
the binaries, extend $PATH to expose the binaries, and more.
3. So a solution came up: why not register a package at the
NPM-registry with the plugin-configurations (i.e.: ice-mods) stored in
the package.json file?
This way, instead of the following command used to install `fzf':
zplugin lucid as=program \
atclone="cp shell/completion.zsh _fzf_completion; \
cp bin/fzf-tmux $ZPFX/bin" \
make="PREFIX=$ZPFX install" for \
you only need:
zplugin pack for fzf
to get the complete setup of the fuzzy finder, including the
completion and the additional script `fzf-tmux'. The installation is
real, package-manager -like, because you don't need to invoke Zplugin
anymore once installed to use fzf, and you can update the package with
`zplugin update fzf', it'll cause the project to refresh and rebuild.
There are currently 4 packages available, their home is the
Zsh-Packages GitHub organization. I'll be adding the packages
intensively over the next days so you can expect it to grow fast.
Also, anyone interested in owning a repository in the organization is
welcomed, so are requests for a specific package to be included.
Also, it would be great if someone graphically skilled would come up
with a logo for the organization.
Messages sorted by: