completion of filenames

As I have it now TAB only completes filenames after some leading command.  If I hit TAB at the beginning of a line it seems to want to find commands.  Can I have filename completion active right from the start?  Reason being that if I have a suffix alias defined then of course all I need is the filename.  I'm terrified to play with it since one can break something and only find out latter that expansion no longer works in months beginning with 'A'  or some other disaster.  Man, such power there, if only there was some way for mortals to understand it.