Niggling little problem with a theme

I have a theme that is a modification of the candy.zsh-theme that uses an emoji for the prompt (I have a version for three different systems using the 🍰 and 🍎 for rPi and Macs as well as this one for my FreeBSD machines).

👹 root@mail # cat ~/.oh-my-zsh/themes/bsd-candy.zsh-theme
function toon {
  echo -n "👹"
}

PROMPT=$'%{$fg[magenta]%}$(toon)%{$reset_color%} %{$fg_bold[green]%}%n@%m %{$fg_bold[blue]%}%#%{$reset_color%} '
RPROMPT=$'%{$fg[blue]%}[%T] %{$reset_color%}%{$fg[white]%}[%~]%{$reset_color%} ‘
---EOF

Works fine in nearly all cases, but occasionally when I am trying to edit a command line, the space after the prompt disappears and it makes it quite difficult to edit as the command that appears on the screen is shifted one character off.

Is this just an artifact of using multi-byte character?

(My terminal is normally macOS’s Terminal.app, but this issue also happens when I am on the console on the freeBSD machine.