Re: tilde syntax

On 2024-01-05 11:58, Bart Schaefer wrote:
Approximately so, yes.  Not precisely so in the case of nested expansions.
Close will count for now.
Only with respect to pattern characters, but yes.

Ah, so this behavior is special.  Is there some way to watch the parsing unfold?

If I could see what happened, step by step it could sure be useful.  Seems to me

I remember someone showed how.  'set +x' isn't detailed enough.

It was in fact one of the primary reasons for the creation of zsh in
the first place, to make the behavior of parameter expansions more
consistent without always having to use double quotes around them.
Yes,   I know that historically zsh was a design fix.

  setopt glob_subst
  print -- ${~~asterisk}
does exactly that.

Cool.  Manual mentions that, but now it makes sense.

Tx.