Re: build from source

> In order to build help.txt you need both "man" and "perl" installed,
as I recall, plus "yodl" to build the input for "man".

No yodl here.  But my next step was to get all the help stuff installed, that seems the most complicated thing.  INSTALL says you can just grab everything pre-cooked 'at the same place as the source' but how you get there is not clear since "git:// ..." isn't viewable in a browser.  Is there an easy way?  Or I'll just grab yodl and do it the hard way.

On 2024-02-01 15:15, Bart Schaefer wrote:
% ZTST_continue=1 make check TESTNUM=C02

Test ./C02cond.ztst failed: bad status 1, expected 0 from:
  [[ $newnewnew -nt $zlnfs && ! ($unmodified -nt $zlnfs) ]]
Was testing: -nt cond
./C02cond.ztst: test failed.
Test ./C02cond.ztst failed: bad status 1, expected 0 from:
  [[ $zlnfs -ot $newnewnew && ! ($zlnfs -ot $unmodified) ]]
Was testing: -ot cond
./C02cond.ztst: test failed.

... so it's looks like two errors very similar.  Ignore?

Question, after getting the help done, next thing is 'make install', now will that overwrite my existing 5.8?  I don't anticipate any issues with 5.9 but if possible I'd like to keep 5.8 there in reserve, so prevent any overwrites of, say, the stuff in /usr/share.../  or wherever else.  I'm pretty sure I've done that previously -- kept the new and the old side by side.  But not if it will be any trouble -- 5.9 isn't going to give me problems I don't think.  OTOH, If I'm running the very latest build there's always that chance and I have to fire up an older version due to some bug in the very latest.