Re: Problems with history on macOS

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:08 AM Perry Smith <pedz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to have one single giant history file and I can’t seem to get that.  It has hovered around 1500 lines.

The only thing I can see is that you have all possible duplicate
removal options enabled, so unless you're issuing more than (about)
1500 lexically distinct commands, that's all you're going to have
saved.

The SHELL_SESSIONS stuff is not going to affect zsh at all, it doesn't
recognize either of those.  However, what might be happening is that
your desktop manager is running other zsh processes for its own
purposes (launching new windows, say) and those shells are getting
SAVEHIST set but to a smaller value, coming from an earlier config
file (and without the login option set so your .zlogin settings don't
override).

Run
  zsh -o sourcetrace
and check the output for assignments to the *HIST* variables.