Re: egrep --color=always 'zsh\.'

On 2024-04-02 15:45, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
It is easy to escape characters that are special to zsh itself.
It is not so easy to escape characters that are special to POSIX
extended regex.  (The rules are hardly impossible to work out,
but they're not straightforward either.)
I think that's the crux of it.  I do understand what you're saying.  If there were a fix via some form of quoting or whatever, I'd use it, so I thought I'd ask, but as you say, there are more robust solutions.  I'm fishing for something easy but in practice this is hardly an issue, I'm just interested in the principle of the thing.  I've come to learn that zsh can do almost anything if you get the invocation just right.

Meanwhile it would sure be nice if the world could standardize on one set of regex rules.  I haven't learned perl but they say it can do anything you could imagine doing and more.