Re: color codes to eval

On 2024-04-10 17:01, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
That's right. And since you're not using $~var or GLOB_SUBST, the
result of that delayed expansion will be used literally instead of
as a pattern for filename generation.
Ah!  Yes, I've run aground on those rocks too.  What would have served me well, and avoided the majority of my questions here, is some Big Book of Shell Gotchas.  Especially useful for a guy like me coming from DOS and only having that, and C, as my notions of what programming environments are like.  What's frustrating is that I learn something and six months latter I've forgotten.  I sure wish we could scan the archives, I'd be going back and checking my own previous questions -- like just now, I knew I'd asked about '(q)' previously.
If you can avoid it, you might as well.  (Especially if you don't
have a clear idea of what it does.)
I don't!  All I know is that it got me into trouble.
It's usually not what you want, since it may let typos and other
mistakes go by quietly.  It's generally easy enough to handle
troublesome non-patterns by quoting them or using them through
variables.

Yeah who needs that, when we have a proper fix above.