Re: Serious HP-UX problem ! Shell hangs !

Franklin Chen wrote:

> > > This is a quite old problem (it is present at least since beta6). It is OS
> > > dependent, and it is also present on ULTRIX. As I remember it appeared after
> > > Richard rewrote the signals code. He promised to fix that.
> >
> > I don't have any HP or DEC machines, so it is difficult for me to
> > track down.  Does this still happen if you change POSIX_SIGNALS to
> > BSD_SIGNALS?  It might be bugs in the Posix code for these machines.
> > If this fixes it, I can just force configure to use BSD signals on
> > these machines.
>
> I have been unable to reproduce this problem.
>
> 6 ~ chen@gar$ uname -a
> HP-UX gar A.09.03 A 9000/720 2000519265 two-user license
> 7 ~ chen@gar$ echo $ZSH_VERSION
> 2.6-beta10
> 8 ~ chen@gar$ sleep 10
>
> zsh: 11651 suspended  sleep 10
> 9 ~ chen@gar$ sleep 5
> 10 ~ chen@gar$ jobs
> [1]  + suspended  sleep 10
> 11 ~ chen@gar$ fg
> [1]  + continued  sleep 10
> 12 ~ chen@gar$ jobs
> 13 ~ chen@gar$
>

> I build zsh (and all other autoconf-based software) with
> 	CC="c89 -D_HPUX_SOURCE" configure

This bug seems to be compiler dependent. Here is a quotion from my BUGS file:

On ULTRIX 4.2, if NOTIFY is unset, zsh gets SEGV each time a background
job terminates if compiled with gcc-2.6.3 or c89. It does not happen
with cc (non-ANSI compiler, ansi2knr is used). Terminal suspension
does not seem work regardless of the compiler. HP-UX seems to have
similar problems.

And with gcc 2.6.3 on ultrix 4.2 ^Z does not work. The job won'n continue
after ^Z but the shell also hangs.

Bye,
  Zoltan