Building zsh for multiple platforms

I just tried out the trick of making a fresh directory for a new platform
target and then running /path/to/zsh-sources/configure from the new dir.
That seemed to work fine, so I ran "make", which also worked fine except
that it put the final "zsh" executable in /path/to/zsh-sources/Src/zsh,
stomping on the build I already had there.

Seems to me it ought to put the executable in the same place that it puts
the object files.  Why is GNU make using the VPATH to determine the target
directory for the executable?

(This is on Linux 1.2.13 with GCC 2.7.0 and GNU Make 3.74, when building
zsh-2.6-beta11-test9-hzoli11)
--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer@xxxxxxxxxx                  Division of NCD Software Corporation