Re: Problem w/zsh-2.6-beta13-hzoli13 as login shell (long)

Danek Duvall wrote:
> Zsh is segfaulting when run from /bin/login, either from
> rlogind/telnetd or by exec'ing /bin/login on the commandline.
> Unfortunately, I can't get the thing to dump core, or I'd provide at
> least a backtrace.  The most I've been able to do is get an strace,
> which I've provided at the end of the message.
>
> Here are my system specs: linux 1.3.71, libc5.0.9, ncurses 1.9.8a, gcc
> 2.7.0 (not using -fno-strength-reduce), /bin/login from the shadow
> password suite.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this.  I tried it on 1.3.71 with libc-5.2.18
and libc-5.3.3,  with ncurses and with termcap with sr-bugfixed gcc-2.7.2.

Did you used the ncurses include files to compile zsh?  You may need to add
something like -I/usr/include/ncurses to INCLUDES in Src/Makefile.  If this
does not fix the problem, try to use unlimit coredumpsize before execing
login to get a core then use gdb zsh core then bt to get a backtrace.  If that
does not work, try to login to an account with sh as login shell and
no /etc/profile and ~/.profile, then start zsh -l from there and see if it
gets a SEGV from there.  Or as a last resort add a sleep(1000); right after
the variable declaratins in main() in init.c, login to an account which has
this modified shell as login shell, then attach the shell process to gdb, send
a SIGALRM to the attached process and continue its execution.  If you do not
have a meaningful backtrace try to link with -lncurses_g.  It may happen that
starting /usr/local/bin/zsh works but zsh or ./zsh alone does not work so
experiment with this a little bit.

Thanks,

Zoltan