Re: why is SHINSTDIN an option?

>Is there any reason for SHINSTDIN to be an option?
>In the code, it seems to primarily be used a global variable
>keeping track of where the input stream is coming from.  Since
>the code changes it so often, is there any time where a user
>would want to set this himself?

I was wondering that myself.  It doesn't actually seem to be very
meaningful.  Its only purpose seems to be to allow user code to test
it, but I don't see why one would want to do that -- INTERACTIVE is a
better test of interactiveness.

But the corresponding command line option, -s, must remain, so I
recommend that SHINSTDIN should stay.  I think, however, it should
become read-only, like INTERACTIVE.  It is already read-only in the
Bourne shell here.

-zefram