zsh, vi mode, vihistorysearchbackward

I've a question with the following revision:

% rcsdiff -r1.7 -r1.8 zle_bindings.c
2c2
<  * $Id: zle_bindings.c,v 1.6 1995/03/11 06:17:29 [name omitted to protect the good-intentioned 8-) ]
---
>  * $Id: zle_bindings.c,v 1.7 1995/03/20 22:11:36 [name omitted to protect the good-intentioned 8-) ]
[...]
541c547
<     /* / */ z_vihistorysearchbackward,
---
>     /* / */ z_vihistorysearchforward,
557c563
<     /* ? */ z_vihistorysearchforward,
---
>     /* ? */ z_vihistorysearchbackward,

The above mappings appear in vicmdbind, and my question concerns
running zsh in vi mode.

I can see how "/" should seem to be "search forward" and "?" should be
"search backward", but this works exactly opposite as it did before.
Most of the time I want to just hit "ESC-/" to search back a few lines
to a previous command, but with the above (default) bindings I have to
add the shift key to make it "ESC-?", which is more awkward.

I've used a couple bindkeys in my own .zshrc to switch the two
functions (putting "backwards" back on "/"), but I'm pushing others
here to switch from ksh to zsh, and I think the default behavior
will confuse them (since the default bindings work exactly opposite
as ksh in vi mode).  Anybody (dis)agree with switching them back?
Discussion?
--
J.D. Laub (Laubster) HBOC/CliniCom|"I think you're very, very, very, very, very,
jdl@xxxxxxxxxxxx     Boulder,CO   |very, very, very, very, ..." - Flying Lizards