Re: quoting bug

::: "Z" == Zefram  <A.Main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 >> zsh fails to break up strings properly where other shells do the right thing.
 > setopt SH_WORD_SPLIT

Thanks for the swift reply.  Sorry that it appears to be a FAQ.

I can see the point made in the FAQ regarding the usefulness of this feature.

Mainly for compatibility reasons, I can not see why the incompatible behavior
is the default.

Especially because it's biting me :-{ since setopts are not inherited across
subshell invocations.  That is, this doesn't seem to be the case, though I
couldn't find anything in the documentation whether or not that is supposed to
happen.

Also, adding this setopt to my ~/.zshenv doesn't help either since the
subshells start with #!/usr/bin/zsh -f   (which is a very useful option to
prevent destruction of the enviroment constructed in the parent script)

So the only two ways around this that I can see are either adding this setopt
to /etc/zshenv, which is clearly unacceptable on a multi-user system, or
modification of all shell scripts .... :-(

Should invoking zsh via a link to `ksh' affect the zsh -f flag?  AFAIK, `ksh
-f' is not defined.

-Raymond