Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: more dependencies on emulation
- X-seq: zsh-workers 1707
- From: "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx>, A.Main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Zefram), zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: more dependencies on emulation
- Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 19:44:51 -0700
- In-reply-to: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx> "Re: more dependencies on emulation" (Jul 19, 2:12am)
- References: <199607190012.CAA02152@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: schaefer@xxxxxxx
On Jul 19, 2:12am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> Subject: Re: more dependencies on emulation
> Zefram wrote:
> > After this, the only use of emulation is in the emulate builtin itself,
> > and in initialisation (where it's difficult to avoid).
> I did not want to introduce new options like FUNCTION_ARGZERO and
> SH_FILE_SUBST because I consider these options useful only in sh/ksh
> compatibility mode.
Does that mean you're not planning to include these patches in 3.0?
Or does this:
> But my solition was certainly not very good.
mean that you ARE planning to include them?
> Increasing the number of settable options makes it
> more and more difficult to write zsh functions which are independent of the
> current options setting.
Actually, the only options that make this difficult are those that (1)
affect non-interactive behavior and (2) are not tied to an emulation.
As long as the "emulate" command sets/unsets all the appropriately-
tagged options, you can always do:
# Now do stuff using default zsh settings
Note, though, that for this to work "emulate" should never turn OFF
localoptions -- I note that it turns it ON for ksh, so right now it
probably also turns it off sometimes.
> > My comments in article 1669 about the option patch in article 1275 apply
> > here also. Applying this patch by hand if you don't have the option
> > patch applied is not difficult. If anyone wants an updated copy of the
> > option patch, mail me.
> I'd like one. I wanted to include this in pre3 but again I had no time.
Ooooh. I think I'd rather it stayed out for 3.0.
Messages sorted by: