bug, limitation, ...?

Somebody was complaining to me on the S-Bahn yesterday evening that he
couldn't do:

% set foo
% print ${1[0]}
zsh: closing brace expected

(I think this question has cropped up before, in fact, but that was
long before Zoltan's parameter substitution improvements.)  It would
be nice if numerical parameters were as much like `other' scalar
parameters as possible.  (OK, they're really array elements, but the
mode of addressing suggests that should be hidden from the user; after
all, direct assignment works.)  Still, the world is not a nice place.
If it turns out a change would be tantamount to allowing ${argv[0][0]}
it's probably too much, at least for now.

P.S. no need to post workarounds.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxx>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77330