i586-unknown-linux-gnu?

The new autoconf indentifies linux as linux-gnu.  Unfortunately that can
break startup scripts depending on $OSTYPE.  I'd like to know what do you
think about changing OSTYPE from linux to linux-gnu.  We can edit the new
config.guess to get the original OSTYPE but that would disagree with the
GNU standard names.  I really do not understand why FSF is so annoyed with
i586-unknown-linux.  It would be more logical to call elf linux with
libc.so.5 to linux as before, and linux-gnu can mean linux with the new GNU
libc.so.6.

Zoltan